Saturday, May 23, 2009

4 words



You know how sometimes there are somethings that only your mom can tell you. Tough things, the kind of things that you would only hear coming from someone who loves you, a lot. This past week mine told me one of those. It came as four simple words, and from a heart who really knows.

I complain to her, to many of you reading this, about how I never see Scott between school and work, how I'm not cut out for single parenting, how my children wake up at 6am, disciplining my dramatic two-year old, the list goes on (for a long time actually). It is easy to get focused on all these reasons, some of them quite valid, for feeling put out and totally overwhelmed.

She talked to me about her life while my dad was in law school.... 2 kids (at the beginning of 3 years, not the end), a sacrificed career, a non-existent budget for much of anything, and much more. I listened, feeling validated, amazed and very out-done in my so called "hard-life." But it wasn't until days later that she gave me her key to her survival, then and now.

So, straight from the post-it that now hangs on my mirror, here it is:

Focus on the Positive

Nothing really unique, but just very inspired. Life is hard. Really hard, and sometimes it stays that way for a while. It is in those moments, those years possibly, that our natures change (or have the opportunity to). If I ever want to share eternity with people who have sacrificed and survived much more than I ever will, I think I honestly need the hard times, need the opportunity to change. And so, I am sharing this hit-the-spot advice along with my ever-growing list of things I love about my life (coming soon).


8 comments:

Grapefruit said...

Great advice! Someday you will look back on this stage, and I PROMISE, there will be things you miss terribly about it. I have so many fond memories of your stage, and, like your mom, was in the same boat as she was: 2 kids, pregnant w/the third, husband gone, both of us in school, broke...the list goes on. But life was simple then, and I loved so much about it. I am so thankful for those five years and the many lessons we learned. You are doing great. And it can be so hard, especially when you feel like you are on your own. But you are doing something right...look at your beautiful family! I'm so thankful for you and for our friendship Michelle. Hang in there. Graduation is around the corner!

Nield Family said...

We all needed to be reminded of that everyday! And like Becca said, you are doing great! I love you so very much, sisters are forever no matter what! Thanks for sharing your life with us! Stay on the Sunnyside of life!!! Sunshine day:)

The Stringham's said...

Thanks Michelle...I needed to hear that too!!!

michelle taggart said...

i so needed to hear that today michelle! thank you so much, you are very inspiring, and i'm so gratful to have you as a dear friend... and twin! he he. love ya:)

indymartin said...

Moms are brilliant, aren't they! Lucky for you, you have SO MANY positive things to focus on. Two beautiful, healthy girls...a gorgeous place to live, a loving husband, a great church, the coolest friend ever (that would be me) and so much more! You are great and such a great example of a good wife and mother. Keep it up!

Emalia said...

AMEN! Focus on the Positive, I love it. Though it is my moto in life I forget it frequently. Hearing your mom's story about law school sounds just like my soon-to-be story, two kids, law school, no money. Tons of 'fun'. I'm nervous but I think it I keep this in mind it will help!! Thanks for posting!! Love you!

Sunshine Day said...

OK THIS IS MOM, wow you can take a simple story and turn it into something profound. You are the best, don't ever forget it. We all need to be reminded of those 4 words, myself included. I can't take the credit, sometimes those thoughts just come as pure inspiration, from a source much more brilliant and omniscient. Love you and keep up the smiles! We all need them!

Rachel said...

wow mushie that really is so true. you are amazing, your blog is so great. you really are such a good writer- inspiring. i love you. i miss you already. keep it up, im back in blog world so i will be expecting these works of art a lot more often. :)