Thursday, September 27, 2007

Trip to Cambodia

On Sept. 11-16 I traveled to Cambodia with my mom to present a dance workshop. I worked with the Young Single Adults in the South District of Phnom Penh and with the Amrita Performing Arts group. It was a life-changing experience. The people are incredible, the poverty startling. I am so grateful to have met such beautiful, humble, and loving people. Truly, a part of me will always remain in that special place. We traveled through the city of Phnom Penh, seeing all we could of the Royal Palace and grounds, as well as the horrific sites of the geneocide of 1970-75. The country is in a major recovery from the devastation of the Khmer Rouge and the slaughter of over 2 million Cambodian men, women and children. We traveled to Siem Reap to see the great pride of the country, Angkor Wat. It was magnificent and stunning to see such intricate hand carved work. I hope that these pictures capture some of what I experienced...although I doubt they adequately can. It would have been easy to come home from Cambodia thinking that I am so much more blessed to live here than there, but when I saw their humility, their acceptance and love for everyone, I wonder which of us has the greater blessings.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Michelle, you never cease to amaze me at how giving and caring you are to everyone around you. I am so happy that you were able to go back to Cambodia, I know it has such a special place in your heart and you wanted to make that trip so badly. I'm sure you touched so many people's lives and will have such great stories and memories for years to come. Thank you for sharing the pictures and giving me a little insight on your wonderful trip!

Kristine Elaine said...

I just looked at your pictures and it looks like your trip was a success. You were missed but I know you did great things over there. Thanks for the pants...I wore them last night.

Tara said...

Michelle, reading about your experience brought back sweet memories of our own experience in Cambodia...what special people. I'm glad you were able to go back. By the way, I had my baby...Sept. 8th...there are pictures on our blog...taraandowen.blogspot.com

Nield Family said...

it was sweet to see your pics! I want to do something like that! I love you guys and missed you this weekend

becca p. said...

Mush!!! I didn't know you had a blog. For Rizzle! Your trip looked AMAZING. Wish I could have joined you. I added you to our blogroll, www.jaredandbecca.blogspot.com